Bengaluru FC and their talismanic captain Sunil Chhetri won their maiden Durand Cup football tournament title after beating Mumbai City FC 3-1 in the summit clash at the Salt Lake Stadium here on Sunday.
Siva Sakthi (10th minute) and Brazilian Alan Costa (61st) scored for the winners while Apuia got the lone goal for the Mumbai side in an entertaining match.
The Blues took an early lead through a fifth tournament goal from Siva Sakthi.
The long ball was delivered from the deep by Jovanovic, which put Mourtada Fall under pressure with Siva on his shoulder. The Senegalese defender was in the end foxed by the bounce and Siva pounced on it with a measured chip over the keeper.
After Chhangte had the first chance for the Islanders in the 17th minute, they got the equalizer at the half-hour mark when Sandesh Jhingan gave away a free-kick in a dangerous zone.
Ahmed Jahouh played on Greg Stewart, who went on one of his runs and took a left-footed grounder towards goal which Gurpreet Sandhu fended off. Apuia was at hand though and tapped home the rebound with ease.
The Blues then almost went ahead in the 38th minute, when, off a Roshan Singh corner, a rebound fell for Roy Krishna and he shot towards goal, but Chhangte brought off a miraculous goal-line save.
Vinit Rai then had a chance after being played on by Stewart but shot over from close and the only other notable incident of the half was the match's first yellow card for Mourtada Fall, the Mumbai captain, who had a forgettable 45 minutes.
The game maintained its intensity in the second half. Five minutes after resumption, Jahouh delivered a measured long ball which fell for Chhangte who did well to get away from two BFC defenders, but with just the keeper to beat, the tournament's highest scorer shot over.
BFC then got ahead for the second and final time in the game, when off a Sunil Chhetri corner aimed at the far post, Brazilian Alan Costa jumped highest and nailed a header into the back of the Mumbai net.
The most notable chance for Mumbai in the second half came through Spanish midfielder Ripoll in the 77th minute when he went on a solo run from midfield and unleashed a booming drive which beat Gurpreet but struck the left upright and came back.
Chhetri also had a couple of golden opportunities to score, once in the 69th minute, when his left-footed strike missed the target and then again in the 87th when he was one-on-one with the keeper, but Lachenpa was up to it and brought off a great save.
With six minutes of time added on, Mumbai did give it one final shot and Greg Stewart came close in the 94th minute, but his effort was also just wide.READ ALSO
Durand final: Clash of titans
- gangway above which lowered a green and rotting wooden
- called up reporters and radio and television newscasters
- a week before the assassination. The tide of my speech
- near me, I could _hear_ him ask, Is it true, Mr. Malcolm
- He paused for a moment, hoping to be able to lower the
- Both white people and Negroes-even including Muslims-would
- in New York during that crucial time-besieged byinsistently
- I thought how the pressconstantly sought ways to discredit
- skin, how he had passed the night. He seemed perfectly
- international prominence I gainedwith the wings Mr. Muhammad
- black champions preferred. Again and again, Cassius startled
- There was no one I could turn to with this problem,
- fowls, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, and cattle; the order
- twelve years with Mr. Muhammad, I had beenready to lay
- Next, I broke the rule that no Muslim is supposed
- Ifelt that as long as I sat down, I was not helping Mr.
- The other he ordered straight westward with orders to halt
- of. We walked, with me caught up in a whirlwind ofemotions.
- the ensuing years, I'd had various kinds of evidence that
- loss for the blackman, and, for the Nation of Islam, each
- that belief he had made no effort to find her after his
- Why else is it thatracist politicians fight to keep black
- I must be grateful to him that at just this time,when he
- home to roost statement had been only anexcuse to put
- the steps again, finding himself now nearly up to his armpits
- is his glamor image to the school-dropout youthin the
- And if I happened to be speaking anywhere within reasonable
- to remember that most newspapers in America were represented
- Three or four inches of water now flooded the cave of the
- This was when it began being said that I was America's
- Cassius was a Muslim brother, the Muslim newspaperdidn't
- at last it was flaringout at even the white man's own kind,
- was the especial pride and joy of My Dear and Meriem. The
- evil thoughts about Mr. Elijah Muhammad. The last time
- A story that I had read in prison when I was reading
- In the end, I reasoned that the decision already
- Max gaining upon her, now, at every stride. There was a
- I thought of one bridge that could be used if and
- As I have related, doctors recommended a dry climate
- had no such intention-to sell out was not even in my nature.
- the sailors bought with a stick of tobacco, of the value
- I learned from theseformer secretaries of Mr. Muhammad
- I began teaching in New York Mosque Seven that a
- I thought of one bridge that could be used if and
- might have noticed the reduced numbers of his following.
- when the shattering disclosure should becomepublic. Loyal
- and theI.R.S. all combined can't turn up a thing I got,
- David's adultery with Bathsheba weighed less on history's
- had come across his northerly camp and he feared that they
- Cassius Clay and I are not together today. But always