Veteran French Football Federation (FFF) president Noel Le Graetofficially resigned on Tuesday, following a Sports Ministry audit that "highlighted the inappropriate behavior of Mr. Le Graet towards women" and a history of psychological harassment.
"Considering his conduct towards women, his public comments and the governance failings of the FFF, Mr. Le Graet no longer has the necessary legitimacy to run and represent French football," the report said.
Le Graet had already stepped aside temporarily in January pending the results of the report, published two weeks ago. Although he has always disputed the allegations, he said he would resign if the report found that he should.
However, Le Graet also gave an interview to France's biggest sports daily, L'Equipe, after his resignation saying he had "never harrassed anyone, morally or sexually," and that his lawyers would contest the ministry's report via all available legal channels.ëlLeGraë
Interim President Philippe Diallo will stay on in his stead pending a formal vote in June.ëlLeGraë
Before resigning, the 81-year-old Le Graet had led the FFF for more than a decade. His tenure, which had been due to last until 2024, coincided with a revival of the men's national team that saw them win the 2018 World Cup and advance to the final of the 2022 tournament.ëlLeGraë
However, he has also been accused of serial sexual harassment and other inappropriate behavior.ëlLeGraë
Le Graet also caused a stir when he told French radio last month that if legendary France player and former Real Madrid trainer Zinedine Zidane expressed interest in coaching the national team, he "wouldn't even take his call." He later apologized for the "clumsy" comments.ëlLeGraë
The interview occured right after national team coach Didier Deschamps had his contract extended until 2026.ëlLeGraë
FFF supports Le GraetëlLeGraë
In response to the Sports Ministry audit of what they called Le Graet's "behavior excesses," the FFF stood behind their longtime leader.ëlLeGraë
"The FFF recognizes the remarkable sporting and economic performance of Noel Le Graet," the federation said in a statement, before criticizing the ministry report.ëlLeGraë
"The report does not mention any systematic failing. The FFF nevertheless notes that the report is based less on objective facts than on comments that have sometimes led to exaggerated bad-mouthing of the body," the statement read.ëlLeGraë
His administration has also seen a period of prolonged strife in the women's national team, with several top players refusing to play in this year's World Cup in Corinne Diacre remains coach.ëlLeGraë
Le Graet is expected to continue on in his leading role at FIFA's Paris office.ëlLeGraë
- For three weeks Hanson had remained. During this time he
- of the games, which commenced early in the afternoon. It
- had gathered once more as eager and enthusiastic as though
- would go out together, but only one, or two, or three returned.
- unlocked the door at the foot of the steps. He turned,
- which he was supposed to defend himself. The pike he was
- no place in popular favor and that Fastus, his son, was
- lead up to a sudden and swift surprise, the gladiator could
- moving westward. Then, one day, he announced that half
- Cassius Hasta split the helmet of a burly thief who opposed
- There is a man. With Fupus adopted by Caesar, the whole
- He reared upon his hind legs and threw himself upon the
- one of our party was unable anywhere to purchase either
- out of sight of the corridor beyond, and drew his Spanish
- Caesar may have expected for himself the plaudits of the
- Brown artisans and tradesmen in their smart tunics jostled
- end of the apartment. A steady stream of dirty water was
- They had seen other men that week face other lions bravely
- but if what I have been told of the games is true, the
- at the noble patrician who was master of the games, for
- ‘beware’ for nothing.” They were soon anxious for
- voice, said Praeclarus, after the fellow was out of hearing.
- sporting their finest feathers and most valued ornaments
- been witnessed. The barbarian was offering such a defense
- about the premises by night. He came and went as he saw
- forward with parted lips, forgetful, for a moment, that
- The heart of Maximus Praeclarus stood still, for now he
- facing in that direction, he saw the thing that had aroused
- Into the disc of light, leaped, fantastic, the witch figure
- to the purple with the support of such a popular idol as
- all of you. How dare you sit in the presence of a Caesar!
- When do we leave? demanded Metellus, shaking his chain.
- and ran like a hare, her yellow silk dress gleaming in
- but Dilecta, watching the procession from the roof of her
- antagonist, and what happened happened so quickly that
- Something must have aroused Caesar's suspicions, for I
- was anxious to examine a reported coal-mine which turned
- filled with excitement and ferocity. Already had they long
- The loge reserved for Dion Splendidus, the senator, was
- opposite him and Tarzan found that he faced a black warrior
- gruffly, explaining that he had always been fond of the
- I speak my mind, said the girl; Caesar or no Caesar.
- of granite. The fellow circled Tarzan, looking for an opening.
- follow me into the imperial loge and tear you to shreds.
- of the Eurasian. She turned and faced him, threw up both
- As the pageant moved its length slowly to the Colosseum
- pikes of the legionaries instead. Their bodies, lying in
- blood. They wanted thrills, but they waited, for perhaps
- might have noticed the reduced numbers of his following.
- Rapidly the torch swung down the corridor. The scraping