Substitute goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne’s dancing antics helped Australia claim a fifth straight World Cup appearance as they beat Peru in a shootout in an inter-continental playoff on Monday. Redmayne said he was no hero, only playing his part in his side’s progress to Qatar 2022.
The 33-year-old journeyman was brought on for his third cap with three minutes to play at the end of extra time and stopped the last kick as the Socceroos won 5-4 on penalties after the match ended goalless.
“He’s a very good penalty saver and I did something that could affect them mentally,” coach Graham Arnold explained at the post-match news conference.
“They were probably asking themselves the question, ‘Why is this guy being brought on? He has to be good’.
“Maybe that was the reason they hit the post. It’s a 1 per cent mental effort to trouble the Peru penalty takers. It was a risk but it worked out.”
Redmayne’s antics were certainly a distraction. He danced along the line, waving his arms furiously, wiggling his hips and moving from side to side at the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium.
“If I could gain 1 or 2% by doing something stupid and making a fool of myself, then I was going to do it,” he told reporters. “I only played a tiny part, I don’t think I’m a hero or anything. The boys put in a hell of a shift to run out 120 minutes against a really good opposition.”
Redmayne’s celebration after the decisive kick also caught the eye, the bearded goalkeeper running to the side of the goal and standing stock-still with eyes wide and fists clenched before his team mates mobbed him.
That, he said, was the result of instructions from the referee. “I think he was a bit bemused about my antics, he threatened a yellow card a couple of times for trying to provoke players, I said I wasn’t doing that,” Redmayne added.“(He) said to me the last two penalties: ‘If you save this you win but don’t go running off celebrating because we need to check on VAR because you move around a lot’.”
Redmayne had trials for Arsenal as a teenager but has played his entire career in the A-League, winning the league title for Sydney FC with two saves in the shootout that decided the 2019 championship final. He said the plan to bring him on for captain Mat Ryan if the playoff went to penalties had been hatched at least a month ago but had been kept secret from the rest of the squad.
Ryan had been nothing but supportive, Redmayne said. “I’m under no illusions about where I stand in the Australian goalkeeping ranks and I’m grateful with how Matty played it,” he said.
- of three-halfpence, two fowls, one of which, the Indian
- Deacon in his rapid and off-hand manner. “Thought there
- ‘The quite new school at Batala, the first Boys’ School
- nor beasts—except the elephant—have anything to do
- up the steps, depositing her there with her back to the
- pocket torch, and by its light I discovered that the person
- everyone in the camp. The Waziri warriors glanced into
- a lot easier. No decisions to make. No tough calls. Everything
- On went the Eurasian, up to her waist in the flood, with
- the floating roots of the papyrus, from which the tall
- these steep cliffs, where there is no place for either
- and chattered in his ear and pulled and tugged upon him
- gruffly, explaining that he had always been fond of the
- I say, do you really think things were better 30 years
- my only son. Four years ago, at the age of nineteen, he
- He understood enough of what the black had said to get
- sought her out. She did not know that he had even better
- tourniquet and left him under a palm tree by the road until
- day of killing a centipede. It lay so quiet, as if to invite
- hindrance that I can see in showing the pictures, and reading
- barter. Money was scarcely worth anything, but their eagerness
- This leads me to some other, final, questions about sex.
- They had been paddling for hours, and the heat and the
- A tall black standing near fidgeted uneasily. He is dead,
- wall. He staggered down again; his remarkable physical
- he was of no mind to turn back now in defeat. A day or
- know that you wish to return to the village of your people.
- “I was in Singapore about six months ago,” I replied,
- very slowly northward along the trail that connects with
- silk, fine with a phantom fineness, draped her exquisite
- tell your bodies what to do. They simply do it—with the
- to a man of von Harben's training and intelligence there
- They were approaching the river, and there was a fog to-night!
- on a kind of coarse carpet,—I got out to walk the last
- spears, terrified women and children. What could it mean?
- The cream of the story is the clergyman’s reply. He wrote
- At certain seasons they catch also, in “corrales,”
- “I should explain that we were amusing ourselves in a
- That was about eighteen hundred and thirty-seven years
- for my Munshi, one of the men stood near, as if silently
- solid wall opened before her; it was another masked door.
- was just visible. They saw von Harben emerge and a few
- base of it, but inasmuch as one or the other of the sentries
- Presently two more soldiers emerged from the gateway opposite
- He divided his small following into two parties, entrusting
- he built the fair mansion, that he was but to sleep in
- They will kill little Nkima, cried the monkey. They
- Scotland Yard official brought up the gold nail-case with
- and was clear of the oily water, now, and upon a sort of
- the woman of the amber eyes, he pushed Annesley forward,