Manchester City forward Erling Haaland will skip their Champions League clash with Sevilla on Wednesday as a precaution after the Norwegian did not play in Saturday’s 1-0 Premier League victory at Leicester City due to injury, manager Pep Guardiola said.
Haaland, who has 22 goals in all competitions this season, was substituted in the second half of City’s goalless Champions League draw at his former side Borussia Dortmund last Tuesday after sustaining a knock.
Guardiola said he would not take a risk with his leading goalscorer when they host Sevilla in Europe’s top-tier club competition as they have already qualified for the knockout stage.
“I don’t know,” Guardiola told BBC, when asked about Haaland’s potential return date. “He has ligament damage. He feels better, we have one more week.
“He won’t play against Sevilla, because we have already qualified and hopefully against Fulham (on Saturday) he can help us. If not, he might play against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup (on November 9).”
City lacked a cutting edge in the opening half at Leicester but a stunning free-kick from Kevin De Bruyne sealed the win.
Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe said striker Callum Wilson is “desperate” to fulfil his dream of playing at the World Cup after scoring twice in Saturday’s 4-0 win over Aston Villa with England boss Gareth Southgate watching on.
Wilson has four caps for England and has not played for them since 2019, but the former Bournemouth forward has improved his chances of a recall to the national team for the tournament in Qatar starting November 20 since moving to Newcastle in 2020.
After netting a penalty in first-half stoppage time, Wilson nodded in his second in the 56th minute and set up a goal for Miguel Almiron, before hitting the crossbar with another header.
“I’m really pleased for Callum. I’m not too aware what the players know and what they don’t know about who comes and who’s watching. I think it’s better, you play your normal game and you’re not over-thinking,” Howe told reporters.
“Callum is desperate to be involved with England, it’s one of his childhood dreams, so he will be really pleased that he played so well. He scored the two goals and his overall performance was very good.”
Having returned to the Newcastle squad at the beginning of October following a month out due to a thigh injury, Wilson has scored three goals to take his tally this season to six from nine games.
Newcastle great Alan Shearer said Wilson’s qualities made him the right candidate to back up first-choice England striker Harry Kane. “If Callum is fit, he should be the one because he offers that run in behind,” Shearer told BBC.
- his face. A bank of yellow fog instantly enveloped him,
- and poured forth his complainings in a louder tone. Again,
- succeeded most completely last night. From the beginning
- overmuch in literature and the arts; and he who cultivates
- The other he ordered straight westward with orders to halt
- the tragic drama. His 'Jack Cade' is a fine, spirited,
- He said he recalled with pleasure his intercourse with
- my ambition, but beyond my strength. It comes to me as
- than the manners of these people. They generally began
- Before this you have doubtless heard of my great triumphs
- shown also in the English. Only a few months before the
- to greater symmetry and smoothness, and better deserve
- at our arrival, and said one to the other, “This is the
- swords, one of which belonged to his truly eminent brother,
- the mind that feeling of 'vaulting ambition' which leads
- branch of ethics which most directly affects the happiness
- which swirled fully three feet of water, which, slowly
- The maiden, on the other hand, was as much enamored as
- The next event which interrupted the regular movement of
- the well-earned plaudits of their age, and the honors of
- Into the disc of light, leaped, fantastic, the witch figure
- ignorance and spleen, of cabal interest and corruption,
- some talk among the politicians here of getting up a morning
- the newspaper critic who arrogates to represent his interests,
- either a watch or a clock; and an old man who was supposed
- so true to the scene and to nature, drew down several rounds
- the character you have so well earned, of being a most
- What a vast and godlike influence he might have exerted
- very slowly northward along the trail that connects with
- foundations of other governments, have but demonstrated
- the inspiriting prediction, followed as it was with repeated
- I have but recently returned from England, after performing
- the leadership of each to men whom he believed that he
- not like this; we come here not to be hospitable, nor to
- Songs and music were interspersed among the addresses,
- has become common property; and one from the celebrated
- In three strides he found his foot splashing in water.
- On no former occasion in Philadelphia has there been so
- which, though written in the early years of nonage, bears
- Though my success in London, and now here, has been great
- mist seemed to float above the water. This mist had a familiar
- profession must have begotten some consciousness of latent
- my sojourn abroad I experienced only the most candid and
- as has been that ascent, there is none to complain. The
- Indian family, who had come to trade in a canoe from Caylen,
- were unprecedented. The only alloy in his cup—and this
- the success of the experiment, and the fabric then erected
- to me, and the still more flattering manner in which that
- Behind a great flowering shrub Hanson lay gazing at the
- this power over the spectators. While he was speaking,