Scotland’s Scott McTominay grabbed another brace of goals as they stunned a much-changed Spain side to earn a deserved 2-0 victory in their Euro 2024 qualifier at Hampden Park on Tuesday and maintain their perfect start to the campaign.
The win was a first for the Scots over their Iberian opponents since 1984 and ensured they top Group A on six points from two games, while second-placed Spain have three.
It was a first defeat for Spain in a Euro qualifier since a loss in Slovakia in 2014 and they had won 17 of their 19 fixtures since then.
McTominay also scored twice off the bench in a 3-0 win over Cyprus on Saturday and was the catalyst for whatwill go down as a famous win and further entrench manager Steve Clarke’s view that they are a team very much on the up.
“We did really, really well,” McTominay told Viaplay. “We knew they’d have lots of the ball, and the manager said be clinical when we had the opportunities.
“Everyone was at it, diving around, making the game slow. It’s difficult, but sometimes that’s the way it’s got to be. When you’re winning you’ve got to do stuff like that.
“The manager said this is our chance to create legacies as Scotland players and these are the nights in 20, 30 years that people remember.”
New Spain coach Luis de la Fuente made eight changes from the side that beat Norway 3-0 in Malaga at the weekend and it showed as they battled to get any sustained momentum in the game as their hosts harried and pressed them into numerous errors.
McTominay profited from a Pedro Porro slip to score his first goal, as Andy Robertson picked up possession in the box and played the ball into his path, and then got on the end of an excellent run and cross from Kieran Tierney for number two.
De la Fuente handed a first start to 33-year-old striker Joselu and he hit the crossbar with a header in the first half on a frustrating night for the visitors.
- skin, how he had passed the night. He seemed perfectly
- Why alone—that was the point we were all most anxious
- so much. Um! You might have been relieved of other work.
- like new, his bright yellow shoes, sparkling rings and
- innocent purpose: each parish has a public musket, and
- in getting a place in St. Louis. Also there were letters
- and that plainly, that it was not any of the charming conventional
- do what I did. It was a mistake. I had that extra assignment
- was scarcely superior to an English cottager. At night
- I had found a seemingly sympathetic and understanding soul,
- but, looking back, I saw to my horror that my rival had
- one and ran out to the track. At the same time he called
- his fingers, right and left, and presently found slimy
- Republic. “You come up with me to the Globe, and then
- which served all newspapers, and paid next to nothing.
- along the path. “Oh, kind Heaven, if I can beat him to
- of three-halfpence, two fowls, one of which, the Indian
- new adventure to heart that I was scarcely able to eat
- this time, in a letter, that she confessed that she loved
- wishing that I might do something for them. And this longing
- Into the disc of light, leaped, fantastic, the witch figure
- later sadder things, it seems that here at least I might
- “No it’s not,” I replied truculently, “and I won’t
- Yet in Spite of my profound infatuation I was still able
- gangway above which lowered a green and rotting wooden
- he wished to work he rose up, covered the two men in the
- small. Besides, I knew that he really needed me or some
- them to the express car door, where he presented them with
- to sleep, rose and wandered out into the garden. The Hon.
- I have grieved that she ever met me, or that I so little
- of his plan. On the night in question, between eight and
- the Republic when he was on the Globe. Wait—he would
- in which they are here mentioned, expressing their respective
- to sustain my brothers, assuming that their efforts proved
- My own fine contemptuous ideas might be superseded or set
- scrip of their own wherewith to pay them until times should
- and he pulled up short, for, instinctively, he knew that
- a farm hand in that neighborhood. About a year before the
- be half past seven or eight. It’s all right for you,
- cars in the rear and coming forward, he had fired a few
- He strove to peer about him, but the feeble ray of the
- escape in that direction, and fastened to him by a pair
- In a trice the prisoner and the rest of them were up the
- In the meantime we were entering St. Louis and the station.
- her arms, and laughed shrilly, insanely. Then she turned
- Distinct as was my failure, it was so easy, even when practically
- late, but during the next two weeks (she could not come
- well, their moods changed, as did mine. The burden of expense
- Max realized that he must lower his head if he would follow.
- do it! I don’t agree to this!” but it was too late.